Welcome to my daily painting blog.

I create one new small work every few days. Most are done from life and reflect pleasant childhood memories of Michigan's rural beauty.
Have fun!

Tuesday, August 14

A visitor most welcome


daily painting #37
3x3" oil on gessoed masonite unframed
SOLD

My Dad and one of my sisters live right next door to one another, in Kingsport, Tennessee. I had the pleasure last week of rising early each morning and watching six hummingbirds feed at a flaming Mimosa tree which grew at the common fence which separated the two yards. Obviously, I could not work from life this time. The tiny visitors flitted too fast to capture. I had to use a combination of quick sketches, photo references, and my previous knowledge of hummingbirds. They feed about 4-5 times every hour of daylight. These appeared to be of the ruby-throated variety, but I couldn't get close enough to tell for certain. Next time I go, I plan to take a better camera with a quick zoom...and of course my field glasses.

No comments: