Welcome to my daily painting blog.

I create one new small work every few days. Most are done from life and reflect pleasant childhood memories of Michigan's rural beauty.
Have fun!

Monday, August 20

Work In Progress (New Red Dress)


I have been working on a series of child portraits for the last week and a half. You can view the sketches that they are from at Paily Painting Watcher. These will all be rather small; 8 x 10" mostly. I like to tell a story with my models. The exuberant hug and the pretty dress suggested a story of a little girl's gratitude for her new home-sewn dress. Working this small presents some challenges. Getting a likeness on a head that measures one inch square is tricky to say the least. Most portrait artists I know work life size for this reason. But here, I am trying to force myself to simplify, and an exact likeness is not the main goal. The work is more illustration than portraiture. Keep watching. I'll have it done soon.

No comments: