Welcome to my daily painting blog.

I create one new small work every few days. Most are done from life and reflect pleasant childhood memories of Michigan's rural beauty.
Have fun!

Wednesday, July 16

"Family Night" 12 x 12" oil in progress

Chess is one of those games that a person either really loves or really doesn't. I love Chess. I love watching other people play it. I love the idea of it even though I'm no good at it. My brother George ruined it forever for me when at the age of 10 he beat the ever-living socks off me six times in rapid succession. When I became a foster mom I thought, 'ahah! now I might just have a shot..' But beating a five year old just doesn't quite carry the thrill of victory...especially when you authored their agony of defeat. And even that was short lived. By the time Damean was seven, he had learned the game...which again led to my utter demise.
I decided to make fun of Chess in this Trompe L'Oeil chess board. I only scanned a portion of it because I'm not finished. When it is done and several coats of protective varnish have been applied, it will be an actual functioning chess board.

Notice that there are three figures. The King and Queen are lying down pell-mell and the little pawn is still standing...which is exactly what used to happen by the end of our own family nights. Of course, no game night is complete without coconut macaroons and coffee.

No comments: